Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Verdun in the 40s

This is an ABSTRACT from a book on Verdun that we have at the SHGV and I thought  might interest members on the history of Verdun:
 
This work examines the effects of the Second World War on Verdun, Qu챕bec, an urban, working-class community with a 1941 population of 67,000. Verdun was the third largest city in Qu챕bec and the thirteenth largest in Canada. This study assesses the military, civilian and industrial contribution of this community to the national war effort. No comprehensive study of Canada's 'home front' war has ever been approached from the perspective of a community study.
         Verdun's population was 58% English speaking and 42%
French speaking. Nearly on-third of Verdun's English-speakers were born in the British Isles. Verdun's exceptional British character and its linguistic mix remain sub-themes throught this work, which concludes that French-Canadians partitipation in the war effort at the local level was significantly greater than historiography has suggested.
        Verdunites of both language groups exhibited an exceptionally strong sense of community identification and civic pride and the city's wartime responses were influenced by the shared feeling of local identity. Some of the characteristics of wartime life in Verdun followed national trends; a detailed examination of these themes provides new insight into the wider Canadian home front experience.
       This study intends to provide an innovative addition to the literature of Canada's participation in the Second World War and to enhance existing knowledge of Canadian and Quebec social and cultural dynamics existing at the time.
 
Guy
 
ARCHIVES SHGV
 
 

2 comments:

edbro68 MSN said...

. Canada put more people in uniform per capita than any other country involved in the war. One million out of thirteen million people. We were all enlisted. My mother baked and sent me to deliver bread cakes and preserves to all the mothers whose husbands were overseas. My Father and I went from house to house doing repairs for the same people. Canadian women flew planes built here, to the soldiers overseas. St.Willibrords Church has a long list of those who never came back.   Ed  

les__f MSN said...

Thanks Guy,....I think I have read this before,....but is certainly interesting   one part I particularly like is: Verdunites of both language groups exhibited an exceptionally strong sense of community identification and civic pride   I think this is(or at least was) true of all Montrealer's ,We could have differences of opinion with each other on amny different topics,.and We (Montreler's /Verdunites ---er's) all know that we are passionate about everything we speak on,.but we all rally together immediately ,when we hear 'outsiders' attack us or slight us........... Our Common Bond Indeed,...................                Thanks for Bringing this back to my attention,.... I will try to get this book from my local Library ,but if you could get me the ISBN #  ,That would help me for sure,.....                               "Have Fun & Remember Verdun"   an old friend of mine from years ago recognized this trait we seem to have ,and he mentioned it to me one day at a business meeting,.....He said every Montreler he had ever met ,was fiercly loyal & proud of Our City,........my friend is gone now,..but I often think of his explanation of how he viewed us Montrealers,....He was from Ontario,but did a lot of SAales Training in Montreal,..particularly Keating Ford in Verdun,......Funny I would meet a character like that ,who was that observant ,..but didn't meet him and his wife until they moved out West here around 1980........ Again thanks for the Memory Prompt.................I will end my diatribe now............hahahahahah              "HF&RV"