Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Hello Verdunites.

I just got back from visiting my granddaughters in Calgary (photos in
my album 'Verdunite at heart'). Missed the snow by one day!
I also joined the US navy in 59. Went to the Great Lakes basic
training, and sent to the USS Bausell for a few months, and to the USS
Ammen. This ship had a collision with another destroyer and the
survivors all got choice of duty. I picked Japan and stayed there at a
naval air station for three years. A year after my discharge I joined
the US merchant marine and serviced the Vietnam war with tanks, armored
personnel carriers, and napalm for ten years. Yuk! I retired in 98.
My dad served in the Canadian army during WW2. He spent the entire war
overseas. Wounded in Italy and recovered in England. I was 5 when I
seen him for the first time.
Bill Cooper.

"The moon gives you light, and the bugles and the drums give you music,
and my heart, O my soldiers, my veterans, my heart gives you love."-
Walt Whitman

No comments: