Friday, May 21, 2004

Oldest memories

O.K.--my oldest memories of Verdun (I'm 58).
1. The music store (Bluenote?) on the corner of Second and Wellington had a t.v. in the window and I saw the coronation of Queen Elizabeth on it. First t.v. program I ever saw.
2. There was a dry cleaner on Wellington next to the music store that had the pants presser in the window. I used to stop and watch the man pressing pants (we were poor so I couldn't afford any other entertainment. ha!)
3. We used to wait for the #58 streetcar at the corner of Wellinton and First. If it was raining we'd wait in the entrance of Buckley's. George Buckley's son George Jr. (aka Sonny) started a burglar alarm manufacturing business, and my father, brother and I worked part-time for him making printed circuit boards one summer.
4. Laurendeau's store on Second Ave, halfway between LaSalle and Wellington had bread delivered by horse and wagon. I remember watching Mr. Laurendeau "picking up" after the horse in the summer to use the manure on his garden. (more cheap entertainment!)
5. Inter-City Bakery stabled its horses in a big brick barn between Gordon and Rielle, just below Bannantyne. We'd walk through the barns on the way home from Bannantyne school, and pet the horses, until they chased us out.
This trigger any memories for anyone?

No comments: