Tuesday, April 26, 2005

House Prices 1959

Came across this gem of information. The photo and clipping is from 1957.
I borrowed $90 from my brother-in-law to make the down payment on a house in Chateauguay. The deal was, you paid $50 per month for 3 years, after which time you would move into a new house. Where we were renting in Ville Emard, our landlord advised us he wanted our flat for his daughter who was getting married in 1959. Fortunately we were able to accelerate our new home purchase a year ahead and it was still $10, 950!!!
Lived there until 1977, moved to Mississauga as part of the "exodus"......... The house sold for
$27, 000. The Mississauga house was $54,000!!
Looking back we always wonder how we ever did it!
 
Art
 
 
 
 o

2 comments:

happydi2 MSN said...

Hi verdunreader9....I don't know how young couples do it today. It's not just the high cost of housing, it's everthing seems to be out of whack cost-wise. When we paid off the mortgage on our house years ago, we decided to buy a new car instead of a used one. I remarked to the very young salesman that the price of the car we were interested in cost more than our house. He was totally flabbergasted, I am sure he was wondering what kind of a house we had.It's not just the cost of housing, went grocery shopping today, need I say more?.......Dianne

vreader9 MSN said...

Hi Diane,   I see you are a "new" member to our group. I'm glad you found my item interesting. I'm sure you will find a lot of other things that will twig your memory. As our good "leader" always says, "have fun and remember Verdun!   Art