Friday, December 12, 2008

George Brown Cartage

George Brown Cartage was an important business in Verdun. Founded in 1911, it was situated at 1100 Hickson at the corner of Cool. These photos date back to the 30s. George Brown was also a Verdun city counsellor. I have counted 20 vehicules on the top photo and approximately the same on the bottom photo. Many Verdunites must have worked there. The top photo was possibly taken along the Aqueduct or around that area as you can see the Hydro pylons in the background and the Hickson/Cool area is nearby. I am familiar with that area as we lived just around the corner from there, on Bond street wich is now Évangéline. A V.C.member gave us some information on this cartage company a way back but unfortunaly I did not keep his comments but since I am opening an Album on this subject, perhaps he will come forth with his comments.

Guy

Photos Archives SHGV

 

5 comments:

Bob Gaboury said...

Great pictures Guy,

I used to hang out at Duquette park, A good friend of mine still
owns a body shop on Hixon Ave in between Cool and Lanouette

Guy Billard said...

Gabby,
If I get around to it, I will take a picture of that area on one of my future trips to Verdun, this way, we will have a before and after photo.
Guy

George Edwards said...

Thanks for bringing back a lost memory of George Brown Cartage, and that area of Verdun.

George

emily nicholls-chopin said...

My father emile chopin workrf/or operated canadian cartage on william

emily nicholls-chopin said...

My father emile chopin workrf/or operated canadian cartage on william