Thursday, August 12, 2004

Why women live longer than men


 


In the fourth extract from his book 'Living to 100' Professor Thomas Perls of
Harvard Medical School looks at why there are nine times as many centenarian
women as there are men. Professor Perls is the founder of the New England
Centenarian Study (NECS). In all developed, and most developing countries,
women's life expectancy exceeds that of their male counterparts - sometimes by
as much as ten years. In the US, life expectancy for women is 79 years and for
men, 72 years.


It's surprising that women outlive men, because a man has many biological
advantages, being generally stronger, taller, and richer than his female peer.
All of these attributes would normally be expected to confer health advantages.
In factrea and select 'Positive Aging' from the Health Centers. Then open the
article entitled: 'The Longest-Living Sex - and
Why'


For the Professional version, go to the 'Professional' area and select
'Positive Aging' from the Health Centers. Then open the article entitled: 'Gender Differences in
Longevity'

3 comments:

gerry MSN said...

It's very simple, MEN ARE NAGGED TO DEATH lol

bubbacut MSN said...

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

colleenmurphy1 MSN said...

You guys slay me. Not all women are the same. I can honestly say I am too independant and have never been a nag. Maybe too strong. Course I couldn't stand a guy who would let me walk on him, I'd put tread marks on his face!! If I want something, I'll wait and get it for myself, if I want something done, I'll do it, the only thing that hinders me is I am a woman, so sometimes I don't have the strenght, and I'm only 5'2" so my height gets me frustrated. I whine if I'm not treated with respect, or given romance...but nag NEVER!! My ex even said, "Colleen never nagged". So, does that mean the sucker will die soon??? There is hope. Ha ha
Colleen


>From: "Verdun Connections"
>Reply-To: "Verdun Connections"
>To: "Verdun Connections"
>Subject: Re: Why women live longer than men
>Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:26:26 -0700
>

Send junk mail straight into your Recycle Bin with MSN Premium: Join now and get the first two months FREE*