Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Time is Flying By ( and it's all time we've been here for) -are we old?

Gazette article that reminds me how long we have been here for: Yikes you guys are old (not me...lol)

History Through Our Eyes: Oct. 2, 1963, extending Île-Ste-Hélène

Work was progressing on the enlargement of what we then called St. Helen's Island for use as part of the site of what was to be Expo 67.
Ile-Ste-Helene, or St. Helen's Island, in the St. Lawrence River, was enlarged in order to serve as part of the site for Montreal's Expo 67. This photo of the work underway was published in the Montreal Gazette On Oct. 2, 1963. Bob James / Montreal Gazette
Gazette photographer Bob James’s aerial photo of Île-Ste-Hélène was published on our front page on Oct. 2, 1963. The purpose was to show how work was progressing on the enlargement of what we then called St. Helen’s Island for use as part of the site of the 1967 World’s Fair, Expo 67.
Dikes had been built around the areas to be filled in. Île-Ronde, which was to become part of Île-Ste-Hélène (it lent its name to La Ronde), was being used as an operational base, and rock for the dikes was being quarried there.
“Work is to begin later on a new island of similar size, Île-Notre-Dame, as the second half of exhibition grounds,” we wrote. “World’s Fair Deputy Commissioner-General Robert Shaw says dredging will begin within 10 days to fill in extended parts of St. Helen’s Island. Most of this phase is to be completed before freeze-up, Mr. Shaw says.”
That timeline proved optimistic.
On Dec. 26, 1963, we reported that the dredging was not providing enough fill, so the city was about to call tenders for a contract to bring in more fill by truck to the site. In addition, “instructions already have been given by the administration to contractors working on construction of Montreal’s projected subway system to transport all excavated material to the World’s Fair site for filling in the link between Île-Ronde and St. Helen’s Island,” we reported. 
The panic was on account of the city’s commitment to making the site available by July 1, 1964 to the Canadian Corporation for the 1967 World Exhibition.
A huge ceremony to transfer the site was indeed held the night of June 30-July 1, 1964 — even if Île-Notre-Dame was yet to come.

4 comments:

BobB said...

Preparation for Expo 67. What memories that brings back. I must have been at Expo every day during the summer or ‘67. It went by too quickly. Fantastic. Un Grande Spectacle !!

BobB

Marianne Hart said...

I hope that my post will be accepted in this community and apologize if not.
I used to watch the Like Young
Show..way back when...
I am wondering where a can find episodes that featured Marty Hill, who sang among others, The Lonely Man.
At the time, I did some song writing with Marty.
Marty will be turning 80 years old in January, and I am trying to collect some memorabilia of him from those years.
I also would like to create an online birthday card that can be signed by those who choose to do so.
Currently Marty has his own recording studio and is working on re releasing some of his old songs as well as some great news ones.
I started writing for Marty when I was 16 years old. After a few years we went our separate ways and after 54 years, we are now writing together again.
How do I know?
After all these years, I married my teen age hero, Marty Hill!

BobB said...

Wow. There’s a story! I remember the Like Young show......I think. Wasn’t it on CFCF TV. Channel 12 ? Maybe you could try contacting Channel 12 and see what they have available. Worse case they may have some tips on who to look for

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

BobB

BobB said...

I checked out the Web. Jim McKenna the host of Like Young has a website

rosemountconnect.com

He has an email posted on that site. I’d give it a try if I were you. You may luck out.

BobB