Saturday, August 8, 2015

One of Verdun's More Colourful Characters Passes Away (Roddy Diamond)

Turns out Roddy would be a neighbour of mine twice once in Verdun on Wellington ST. & again later on in Ville Lasalle on 9th. He was certainly a colurful character to say the least ,but he was also a pretty funny & a good guy.(IMHO) He actually ran for mayor of Verdun at one time, and also had a small restaurant where the burgers were great. See ya Roddy, cause we will all be along at some point. Cheers ! LesF
 I have added the obit to the ever growing "In Memoriam" page that I started here along time ago (10 years at least) I know I have missed plenty of peoples obits but sadly there are plenty there to see. So if you want to remember someone have a look at the page & keep their memory alive as you read.
  Click on the link to take you to the old "In Memoriam" page
   
http://verdunconnections.blogspot.ca/2012/08/in-memoriam.html

 Here is his obit from the Montreal Gazette :


Roderick (Roddy) DIAMOND

Obituary


DIAMOND, Roderick (Roddy)
1941 - 2015
After a lengthy illness and a courageous battle, Roddy passed away on July 27, 2015 in his 74th year. He was predeceased by his mother Hilda, father Roddy, son Patrick and brother Robert. Roddy will be sadly missed by his son Roddy Jr., his brothers Rickey and Randi, sister Darlene, as well as many nieces and nephews. Donations may be made to Dans la rue, 514-525-5222,www.danslarue.com. Private family funeral.    


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Great Roddy Diamond. My longtime friend. I've met him the first time when I bought the Olympic Tavern in The Point. We made friends right away, and became everyday buddies soon after ! The Golden Gloves Champ. The toughest guy in Montreal (to win, you had to pull a gun, otherwise... you were done).He had plenty of stories to tell from the good old days (if he trusted you)mainly from his days as the lieutenant of another great figure of The West End Gang (I know, I know, there's no such thing as an Irish Gang...),Johnny McGwire. And from his years as the highly respected doorman of the One and Two Bar. Where Joe Banana, (Bonnano) from New-York, tried to take over. Before leaving the same night, telling Roddy : ''This is desorganized crime... I'm going back to Brooklyn!'' After Johnny passed away, Roddy had kind of a hard time to adjust. That's before he met me ! Sir, RIP forever. And believe me, when my turn will come, a beer at The Fiesta (with a few Crown Royal shots) will be on schedule !!!
Gordie Sawyer
Montreal