Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Eating in Verdun

I don't remember where Laura Roberts' other article was posted but here is the eating once she said she was going to write.  I see she also writes on some other "interesting" subjects too.

 

 

Eating in Verdun

by Laura Roberts on September 18, 2009 · 3 comments
Last week, I gave a brief introduction to the neighborhood in Mo Montreal where I live: Verdun. Since I deliberately kept this article short and focused on some of the odd elements of my ‘hood, this week I’m going to give you some suggestions on where to eat in Verdun—one of my favorite pastimes!
Villa Wellington
4701 Wellington (corner of 2nd Avenue in Verdun)
Open Tues-Fri 11AM-10PM, Sat/Sun noon-10PM, closed Mondays
If you’re visiting Verdun, the number one restaurant you MUST visit is Villa Wellington (except on a Monday, when they’re closed). Otherwise, you’re clearly the type of person who doesn’t know how to have fun or enjoy himself at all.
For starters, Villa Wellington is a Peruvian restaurant, which is something of a rarity in Montreal. The owners speak mostly French and Spanish, so if your main language is English (like me), you will undoubtedly find yourself communicating in a series of inventive gestures, broken Franglais, whatever Spanish you might know from Sesame Street, and lots of pointing at tables around you where delicious mountains of food are being devoured by ecstatic diners.
The menu consists of quite a number of seafood dishes, including a classic ceviche as well as some delectable calamari and shrimp options, but for the seafood haters, there’s also plenty of meat. Vegetarian options are limited, but if you like meat, this place is heaven. You can smell the grill from blocks away, and even if you’re just pa ssing by on the street, your mouth will be watering. Seriously, it’s that good.
My husband and I love this place, and we usually end up ordering either the Coriander Chicken or Beef. Both are excellent, and are basically a Peruvian stew featuring chicken, potatoes, peas and carrots in an amazing cilantro-y sauce. I can’t remember the name of the other dish we order, but it’s a variation on the theme, but with a heaping helping of white beans on the side. Yum!
The portions here are huge, and the prices are very reasonable. If you have room after their homemade bread and enormous entrees, you should definitely try the crème caramel or flan for dessert. Perfection.
Pho Bac No. 1
4707 Wellington
Lunch served from 11 AM to 3 PM, dinner from 5 PM to 10 PM, free delivery available
Right next door to Villa Wellington you’ll find Pho Bac No. 1, serving up Vietnamese cuisine in a BYOB casual restaurant. This place is equally affordable, with more emphasis on grilled meats (vegetarians are apparently still viewed with suspicion here in Verdun), and a nice simple menu.
Typically, my husband and I like to order the Combo F, which consists of a small house soup (a lovely fragrent cilantro broth with vermicelli, pork and green onions), fried Imperial roll, small salad and an arrangement of three different grilled meats (chicken, beef and shrimp) spread across a bed of vermicelli noodles (or rice, if you prefer). If you dine in, you’ll also get a cup of coffee or tea included at the end of your meal.
As they mention pho in the name of the restaurant, it’s funny that I’ve never tried any pho dishes here, but I’ve heard that their Tonkinese soups are quite delicious. I’ve also tried their Chicken and Crispy Spinach with Peanut Sauce, which it was quite tasty, with some surprising cauliflower mixed in with the chicken here and there. The Shrimp & Chicken Sauté With Vegetables is also quite good, with plenty of different kinds of veggies, if you’re looking for a more pan-Asian type of dish.
Pho Bac is definitely #1 in my book, especially on nights when we don’t feel like cooking, as they offer free fast delivery. Super sweet!
Aka-Fuji
3872 Wellington
Closed Mondays, open Tues-Wed & Sat-Sun 4-9PM, Thurs-Fri noon-9PM
Another delicious restaurant conveniently located on Wellington (much further east of Villa Wellington and Pho Bac No. 1) is the amazing sushi restaurant Aka-Fuji, which is officially my favorite sushi place in all of Montreal.
Meet the chef! (ph oto via Hour.ca)
My husband and I first decided to visit Aka-Fuji after reading my fellow Hour writer Joshua Karpati’s positive review of the place. As he put it, “downtown’s loss is Verdun’s gain,” and since we’re always on the look-out for good restos in the ‘hood, we had to check it out, and were totally impressed with the meal, presentation and service. The pricetag wasn’t bad, either!
To start, we were brought a dish of wasabi peas as an appetizer. We also ordered saké, so they let us choose our cups, and we began drinking as they prepared our tempura. There’s a medium and a large tempura plate, and we opted for the smaller one, which came with four shrimp and a variety of deep-fried veggies. As Karpati says in his review, it’s a very light batter and not the super greasy/salty concoction typically associated with tempura. The shrimp were perfect, and although I burned myself on the veggies, I would give them a thumbs up as well.
Next up we went straight to the sushi. Unfortunately, they were out of the ingredients for the Spider variety (soft shell crab, avocado, bonito flakes, sea smelt roe, mayo), so we ended up going for the Spicy California instead. We also opted for some of the Spicy Hotate (scallop) and the Kara-Age (fried chicken, crab stick, omelette, cucumber, sea smelt roe, mayo) , all of which were tasty, but I would definitely go for a few without mayo next time (oops!). The Aka-Fuji sounded delicious to me, but my husband isn’t a big fan of either salmon or eel (the ingredients are listed as shrimp, omelette, crab stick, grilled eel, salmon roe, squid, scallop, cucumber, Japanese squash, and lettuce, and I wonder how they can cram it all in!), so next time I may have to order them for myself and let him pick something else.
There’s plenty of sushi selection at this intimate restaurant, without being overwhelming as some places are, plus there are several combo suggestions for those who aren’t sure what to choose. The sushi was very fresh, and you can watch the chef in action at the counter if you’re interested. Dinner and a show!
Gastronomie le Naked Lunch
4816 Wellington
Open for lunch Tues-Sunday 11 AM-9 PM, closed Mondays
Naked Lunch (photo via Naked Lunch)
Naked Lunch (photo via Naked Lunch)
For those looking for a gourmet experience, and who are willing to pay a bit more for their meal, I would definitely recommend Naked Lunch. Named after the William S. Burroughs novel, Naked Lunch is a casual, upscale French bistro and wine bar with a rotating menu. If you’re in the mood to grab your food to go, they also offer a wide variety of delicious canned and take-out items, like a duck “smoked meat” sandwich and Thai coconut soup. Sample menu items usually include a modern take on standard French classics, such as coq-au-vin, and Asian influences like the aforementioned Thai coconut soup.
You can also find Naked Lunch’s canned goods in grocery stores throughout Montreal, so you don’t necessarily have to come to Verdun to get a taste of their delicious menu items. Check their website for more info on where to get the goods.
Les Délice de l’Ile Maurice
272 Hickson
Closed Sunday and Monday, open Tues-Sat 5-10 PM
Cash only
Chef Sylvester (photo via EatWellMontreal)
Chef Sylvester (photo via EatWellMontreal)
For the truly adventurous, I will end this list with what has to be one of the quirkiest BYOB restaurants in Verdun: Les Délice de l’Ile Maurice
. Montreal Chowhounders have posted endless raves (and a few rants) about the colorful chef/owner, Sylvester, who will surprise and delight you both with his food and his unusual attitudes. Apparently he’s been known to kick people out of the restaurant for insulting him (by inquiring about the size of his shrimp, or asking to change tables), as well as for other minor offenses, so it’s best to stay on his good side if you intend to actually eat here.
Word on the street is that this is the place to go if you really want to eat, and Friday and Saturdays are the best nights to check it out. The menu varies, and Sylvester will ask what you’re interested in, basing your meal on what he has in the kitchen and a few words from you. If you’ve got an open mind, an interest in Mauritian cuisine, and an adventurous spirit, this is definitely the place to be.
For more info on great places to eat in Verdun, be sure to check out my cheap-eats resto reviews at Shoestring Montreal!

 

 

51 comments:

Les F said...

Yes I read her review last week, and I replied to her 'Exploring Verdun' article ,but I received no answer,she is quite an interesting gal....check out her site,.....but she didn't respond to my question as to where she got the name of the Church,as we knew it as a different name ....blah blah blah........but it seems not everyone tries to answer peoples questions,and would rather leave them either unanswered or just hanging......I did invite her to check out our site as well.
Oddly enough sometimes when people get a response to their queries or posts, they seem to dislike an answer,unless it caters to their post......I have always tried to respond to anyones post,so as to at least let them know two things, 1: someone read it....2: someone read it.........hahahahaha and at least they shouldn't feel like no one cares.etc etc...... Nothing worse than posting a topic & having no one respond,..........at least here we 'see' who does respond..............lol Just thought I'd respond to your post........................... HF&RV

I also think we lived in a very different Verdun,...............hf&rv

Sandy Walsh said...

Posting philosophy and etiquette according to St. Les :) Yes I agree it's nice to see that people actually read our ramblings. Maybe Ms. Roberts will join VC - I read somewhere that she lives on 3rd Avenue and she posted a picture of the place across the street from her - but I forget where I saw that. Maybe she didn't respond to your question about the name of the church because she just made it up - lol.

Les F said...

Yup she was invited ,....here's the reply I placed on her site under 'Explorin Verdun' or whatever.
4 Les_F September 15, 2009 at 8:23 am
Hi Laura , I came across your site ,while surfing the web looking generally for Verdun or Montreal related articles or photo’s.
I like your article, & photo’s , I shared the article on our Verdun Connections site, ( on Multiply network, we were on MSN Groups for about 7 years,) We share story’s & photographs from Our past. We all lived in Verdun at some point,mostly many years ago.
I wanted to ask where you got the name of the Church at Wellington & Church Avenue,..because it was always known & is still registered as Notre Dame Des -Sept Douleurs.
You are welcome to check out our Verdun site ,if you like.
http://verdunconnections2.multiply.com/
There are plenty of Msgs on the message board, also videos, Photo albums etc etc …….If you like the site you can always join it ,but have alook through.
I look forward to your next article on Food in Verdun,that was always a good subject,but much has changed in Verdun since my days there in the 60’s…….. Have Fun & Remember Verdun

.....anyway you look at it she never responded to the email , but did to the ones immediately preceeding it. However I don't thinkl our site is as exciting for her,.........lol

Les F said...

I have to laugh about this last a$$holes ( I meant restaurant owner) way of doing business,He sounds like a Fat Version of the Soup Nazi........ I would like to have seen or heard a response like is reported here of this large balloon ,to any of us in the old days...........lol I would flat out guarantee he would not be refusing service, for questions about meal size ,or seating arrangements,.but would most likely be appreciating the response of 911 ......or the fire department whose services might be enlisted to get his fat a$$, out of his own garbage cans.......not the Verdun I Remember.........hahahahha HF&RV
here's the spot I am referring too:
For the truly adventurous, I will end this list with what has to be one of the quirkiest BYOB restaurants in Verdun: Les Délice de l’Ile Maurice
. Montreal Chowhounders have posted endless raves (and a few rants) about the colorful chef/owner, Sylvester, who will surprise and delight you both with his food and his unusual attitudes. Apparently he’s been known to kick people out of the restaurant for insulting him (by inquiring about the size of his shrimp, or asking to change tables), as well as for other minor offenses, so it’s best to stay on his good side if you intend to actually eat here.
Old Colourful Sylvester would be wishing he appeared in the cartoons like tweety bird..........................He can stick his restaurant ......well you know lol

Sandy Walsh said...

lol - I was expecting a report on Woodland Pizza or Crescendo - I was surprised by the restaurants posted - maybe there will be a follow up article. Call me behind the times, but I have never had sushi but the one she describes might persuade me to try it.

Les F said...

check out this clown,.......and what he has listed as dessert,.didn't we buy this sugar crap as kids for 3 for a penny ........Please this guy's a nut.......

and the next photo is of the big galoot ( Like that word).....lol


I'm not kidding to check out some of the slop served here Just click on 'sylvester' 's photo at the end of the initial thread ...........................I think he ate a 'puddy tat'.......

Sandy Walsh said...

I'm off to lala land - but thanks for making me lmao - are those things gum drops? that would be puddy TAT - too funny

John Hill said...

The food at "Sylvester's: is actually very, very good. But since my return to Verdun, I prefer "Mas Cuisine" at 3779 Wellington.

Brian Gearey said...

Les The times they are changing or is that a different way of saying we are getting old? Brian

Les F said...

.I suppose your right Brian....the times they are a changing.....
ps: Were not really old are we ?.............lol I think we may have ,inspite of all our efforts to be different, we have become Our parents...................hahahahah "Back in my day"...blah blah blah
........but it really was -20 F ,.no really , it was........... (Your right ,we 're old.)
HF&RV

pauline garneau said...



remember when a gourmet meal in Verdun was a hot chicken or just fries with gravy

pauline garneau said...


remember when a gourmet meal in Verdun was a hot chicken sandwich or just fries and gravy

Steve Gladwish said...

Yeah and a four course was 2 Steamies ,fry and a Pepsi....(house wine....) from Norman's..

Now thats gourmet Verdun style...back in the day....

Brian Gearey said...

Pauline Now I'm really hungry.Yes a hot chicken sandwich with the peas on top and homemade fries was and still is a gourmet meal in my books.Can't wait till next year when we visit Verdun/I'm going to gain so much weight.Brian

pauline garneau said...



Brian I'm going to have this for supper tonight and I'll tell you how good it was and that way you won't gain a pound

Brian Gearey said...

Pauline Thanks I'm glad someone is looking after my health.Enjoy your supper.I bet it will be extremely tasty. Brian

pauline garneau said...

Ha Ha
You are very welcome.
I'm sure it will be. Just looking at that picture and what a beautiful picture I'm sure I gained two pounds.

pauline garneau said...

insertAudioReply('verdunconnections2:video:55','upload-verdunconnections2-55','');

mary lamey said...

Yup, the times they are a changing in Verdun. You can still get cheap breakfasts all day long and all the steamies and fries your heart desires. But some of the new places are good too. Les Delices de l'ile Maurice is definitely worth a try if you like spicy Chinese or Thai style food. Same idea, only more local character.
Here's a question for anyone. When I was small (40+ years ago) my dad would sometimes make a special trip to a bakery in Verdun and bring home the most amazing Chelsea buns as a treat. They were gooey, lacquered with sugary syrup and studded with pecans. Anyone know what bakery these came from and where it used to be? I dream of those buns to this day!

robert jomphe said...

I'm not sure never had that I believe. But it could have been at Smiths - Main on Verdun at Manning. Just a guess.

pauline garneau said...

Hi marylamey
I would say the same as Jumper or the other great pastry shop was Rosaire's on Wellington Street.
They sound wonderful pleasant dreams ...Pauline

Sandy Walsh said...

They sound exactly like what we used to call Cinnamon Buns and I remember raisins in them rather than pecans. We always got ours at Main's which was on the north side of Wellington (not the river side) and just east of Willibrord. I think there was a jewelry store right on the corner and then the bakery right beside that. Right across the street from the Savoy.

mary lamey said...

It's a mystery. You're right, Sandy. They were cinnamon buns, but my dad called them Chelsea buns. Same diff, I guess. They put the ones you can get at those chain places like St. Cinnamon to shame. Sigh.

Sandy Walsh said...

Well Mary, I'm not familiar with St. Cinnamon but if it's anything like Cinnabon that we have down here, I agree with you. I went to Cinnabon once and never went back. It sure didn't have that glorious aroma that we used to have in Main 's, etc. but rather one that made me head across the food court to the golden arches.

Les F said...

sandy mentions across from the Savoy,.well here's a shot of that very spot,when we lived right next to the Savoy ,over Dube's Store ,(I have a photo of that too somewhere)
One shot shows an excavator digging up Wellington to make way for the new sewer system,
and the other shows my mother standing nect to my oldmans old Oldsmobile, I was just a little kid when I lived here, but saw my first movie in the Savoy when my brother & his friend Gilles were ushers..


HF&RV

Sandy Walsh said...

Neat to be able to see a picture of Main's Les. We had our favorites that we always got there. I must have made the walk from there back to 5th hundreds of times carrying the goodies - cinnamon buns, chocolate cakes with marshmallow in the middle and some with just chocolate icing in the middle, meat pies (little personal sized ones), sausage rolls and shortbread cookies with jam in the middle and different color icing on top. Yep - I guess I was a fan - if I remember all the details like that. I used to sort of unravel the cinnamon buns from the end and eat them in a strip towards to middle - with lots of guaranteed pure milk that was delivered to our door. Now I am going to smack myself and get back to reality. That must be your father in the car?

pauline garneau said...

I remember all their goodies displayed in the store front window so when you walked by you drulled .
My english grandmother played military whisk at St. Clements Church and on the way home would stop and bring us goodies from there. She thought the meat pies were like the ones she got in England.
They were meat pies not tourtieres but we still ate them with ketchup.

Les F said...

I also Remember a pastry shop on the corner of Church Av & Verdun Av...........they always a great display of pastry stuff,........although I guess I liked many diifferent things as a kid, I think Mille Feuilles were one of the ones I remember best,.......oh yea Lemon Merengue too,..did I mention anything with strawberries,.......or apple turnovers,....or etc etc etc ...........HF&RV

Sandy Walsh said...

Pauline - that's exactly right - they were British meat pies and the little ridge around the edge helped to keep the ketchup from falling off

a href="http://sandywest.multiply.com/photos/album/16/Miscellaneous#3">

Diane Roberts said...

Oh Sandy, I just loved those pies. My Mom used to buy a dozen or so to have when we arrived at our cottage in Rawdon. I'd have the box of them with me in the backseat and used to sneak a couple and eat them cold!...still good, although I would have a couple more heated up in the woodstove, smothered in Heinz Ketchup....yummmmy! We bought ours from a bakery on Verdun between 3rd and 4th...maybe Leith's? Our little "gang" would go to their back door in the laneway just before closing and they'd give us a boxful of pastries! No wonder I was a chubby kid!....Diane

Sandy Walsh said...

Diane - we sure had a lot of great bakeries back in the day. I found a site where you can order them - $2.50 each - yikes. I wonder how much we used to pay for them.

http://www.cameronsbritishfoods.com/xcart/product.php?productid=162&cat=3&page=1

mary lamey said...

Old fashioned bakeries, another item to file under "Things ain't what they used to be." At least we still have Stillwells, if you don't mind going to La Salle. I don't.

Sandy Walsh said...

Here's another article from Laura Roberts on Verdun restaurants, etc. Some of them sound pretty good and I'd love to try them except it's a little far to go for dinner. I get the feeling that given some time and tlc that Verdun might become an "in" place to live. With it's location on the river and the bike paths, boardwalk, etc., it has a lot going for it. I know someone who bought a condo around 2nd and Wellington recently and apparently she loves it. But the parking is the pits.

http://www.giftedtravel.com/going-gourmet-in-verdun/

Les F said...

I like the idea of being in Verdun, but I know I could never live there again,too many years gone by, & I'm comfortable in Victoria BC. As for parking I could see that if I did live in Verdun, there almost would be no need for a vehicle,but I am not ready for that yet either.
Sandy has your friend always lived there,& just bought a condo or did they live elsewhere & move back to Labelle Province, because I would be interested in hearing a prospective from someone who has been away for years & is now going home (as it were),,,,,,but not until they had been back a few years, as everyones idea of a place would most likely be great,until all the old stuff they forgot about starts rearing it's head again....from weather to (shhhhhh politics) HF&RV
ps: a friend of mine is just about to sell the house he's owned on Galt for decades,& it's scheduled to become Condos as well....
Verdun , thought with it's proximity to everything would certainly be an enviablew spot to live,especially if you could get a river view,.....or even one of the Montreal Skyline would be nice too.

mary lamey said...

Good grief!!!! I'll drive by tomorrow and report back. Clearly I haven't been buying enough humbugs.

Sandy Walsh said...

Les - funny you should mention about not being ready to give up your car. I often think about giving up my suburban lifestyle and living in Manhattan (I love it there) but I will have to be mentally prepared to not having a car - and I love driving - just like I used to love my bike. My friend needs her car I think because she works on the West Island and travels a lot on the weekends to points all over the place.

She is Montreal born and bred and most recently lived in Pointe Claire - I'm not sure why she picked Verdun - but she likes it. I agree that going back would be great for about a month until you did everything you wanted to do and then it would all start to get on your nerves again - about why we left........ Probably a week up there once in a while is the way to go.

Les F said...

"She is Montreal born and bred and most recently lived in Pointe Claire - I'm not sure why she picked Verdun - but she likes it. I agree that going back would be great for about a month until you did everything you wanted to do and then it would all start to get on your nerves again - about why we left........ Probably a week up there once in a while is the way to go. "

Sandy stay on her good side , makes for a spot to stay close to the river...lol HF&RV

pauline garneau said...

Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories

Got my bag, I got my reservation
Spent each dime I could afford
Like a child in wild anticipation
Long to hear that: "All aboard!"

Seven, that's the time we leave at - seven
I'll be waiting up for heaven
Counting every mile of railroad track - that takes me back

Never thought my heart could be so yearning
Why did I decide to roam
Gotta take this sentimental journey
Sentimental journey home


This site keeps the lush green pasture of our youth alive but the seasons have change it to another shade of green but it is still green. You can’t “go” home because you have made your home wherever you and your families are. There is no perfect place no matter where you hang your hat , its up to you to decide how much you can tolerate ignore or live with. I get reports across Canada and the United States from family and friends and at the risk of being redundant there’ s no perfect place to live. Pauline

Les F said...

That's what keeps Visit's great & also keeps the memories alive,,,,,,We are fortunate to have a group ,that lives all over the world,but we all were searching / surfing for Verdun /Montereal when we came upon this site..... Where we can 'take 'virtual' visits home,any time we like......and share all those common things we did.....in the same place Verdun....... HF&RV


I would imagine our parents would get a real kick out of us using 'their' music to Remember our city...................lol Have Fun & Remember Verdun

Brian Gearey said...

Les and Pauline Agree with you both and it is nice to keep old memories alive Brian

Sandy Walsh said...

Ditto!

Diane Roberts said...

Right on, Pauline...there's always something to complain about or yearn for from "the old place". Having made the big leap to Down Under, which is made up of most people in Perth being from "somewhere else", I've noticed that when one makes the decision to live far from their birthplace, you never completely belong anywhere again, but you make the best of it and enjoy life. We all hold on to the wonderful memories of Verdun & La Belle Province, but reality is it's not the same place anymore, and we're not the same people either. We visit Montreal every couple of years and absolutely love our return to our "home", but the change in population & cultural diversity etc., makes it a completely different place than the city of our youth. I loved the dynamics of a French/English Montreal and the two cultures are what made the city so unique, until the separatist movement turned our world upside down. So we've all moved on, grown older and hopefully made good & happy lives elsewhere or still in La Belle Province. As Les says...Remember Verdun ....Diane

mary lamey said...

I'm actually reading City Unique right now. Finding out all kinds of stuff about the good ol' bad ol' days. There's a photo of moving day on 4th Ave. A great read.

Brian Gearey said...

Diane very well written.It is true verdun or Montreal is not the same as it was when we were young and I don't think I could ever return but the memories will always be there and to me it means something to say I came from Verdun.Brian

Diane Roberts said...

Thanks Les, I love the avatar and have put it on my site. Can see "big boomers" like this right now out the back, great to see as long as they stay on the other side of the fence! A few months ago I watched one jump over the fence as if it wasn't even there...scary sight when you're in the back yard. The big ones stand 7ft tall, so you wouldn't want to confront one. I watch them "boxing" with each other and that's a sight to see.
The book "City Unique" sounds facinating and a good read, so I'm going on to the Chapters webpage right now to see if there's any in stock. I often order books from them as one of Richard's favourite authors is a Canadian science fiction writer, Robert Sawyer.
We haven't received any tsunami warnings from the Sumatra earthquake as far south as Perth. As for the dust storms, they happened in NSW and Queensland on the east coast. The dust blew in from drought striken South Australia and created a real mess! We don't usually have to worry about such problems as Perth is a fairly windy city (nothing but ocean between us and Africa) and the winds usually travel west to east, leaving the sands in the desert where they should be! Fortunately we're not in drought conditions here in the West and the wheat harvests and vineyards should have a great year. However, the weather is sure unpredictable worldwide these days, so who knows what tomorrow brings...Diane

pauline garneau said...

http://images.pony19505.multiply.com/content/movie/pony19505:video:12/pony19505/12./9CcLYuu,w49yP5g0Fse04w/watch%5B1%5D?nmid=287275927

Diane Roberts said...

Brian, we're all so proud of being Verdunites.... isn't it amazing that we still all celebrate being "sons & daughters" of the best place in La Belle Province!
My husband Richard (Rosemount) even says he wishes he was from there, as he can't believe the depth of affection Verdunites display about their "home". Hopefully, we've all made peace at the circumstances that led us to leaving La Belle Province and that we've had full, happy lives in our new hometowns. Doesn't mean we didn't leave a little part of heart in Quebec, and especially Verdun!...Diane

robert jomphe said...

Regarding the bakeries my wife and her brother also remember one called Leith's she believes it was on wellington somhere around Willibrod. She lived on Manning so the location is fuzzy.

robert jomphe said...

Before it was Woodland restaurant. Before it was White's it was Jack Merry's place. What was the name of it?And what was the place used for, there was hardly anything on the shelves. Maybe it was like Cheerios where Mr. Snapes had a few comic books and nothing else. I don`t remember anybody ear¸ting there, just drinking coffee.

Les F said...

It is indeed,.............. just thought I'd pop this thread back in too...... Cheers !! HF&RV

Andrea Magee said...

Leith's was owned by my grandparents :)