Sunday, June 14, 2009

Maynard Ferguson at the Pavilion 1954

These are two adds that appeared in the May 10th 1954 Guardian showing Maynard Ferguson, the Verdun musical prodigy, who appeared at the Pavilion in the beginning of the 50s. Maynard died a uear or 2 ago in California I believe. I've been looking for this information for a long time and my thanks to Robin for his help. I heard that he was 15 or 16 when he formed his own band, sounds incredible, does'nt it ? I have added these photos to my Album no. 15 on the Pavillion wich now totals 19 photos so check them out. 

In case you can't read the text below the top photo, here is what it reads:

Opening tomorrow Friday, the Verdun Pavilion this season features Canada's newest and youngest band leader, "Maynard Ferguson", and his orchestra.

Guy

(I like the feature of this site where you can edit your text therefore adding or making corrections)

3 comments:

Diane Roberts said...

Does anyone remember a singer called Ricky Martin? He was from Verdun and was very popular with the French public, even though I'm not sure Ricky could speak the language. His real name was Walter Subolta (not sure of the spelling). Maynard was from the early fifties, whereas Ricky would have been the late fifties.

Brian Gearey said...

I believe I do remember him.Didn't he make a record called ce monde. Brian

Diane Roberts said...

I don't recall Brian, but the pop star from Puerto Rico..Ricky Martin might have an album with the words ce monde in it. So many people from our Verdun days that we try to remember....not easy, but fun trying!....Diane