Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ben's Demolished

The La Presse article says that Ben's was demolished last weekend. Michael Jackson, Leonard Cohen, Ed Sullivan, Betty Middler, Jack Benny and Liberace are some of the celebrities who patronized the restaurant and who's photos were on the walls. It was founded 100 years ago, by the Letton Ben Kravitz at the intersection of Metcalfe and De Maisonneuve West. The McCord Museum recuperated the hundreds of photos by the stars, tables, menus, plates and even a smoked meat cutting machine. Employees of the museum took photographs in order to organise an exibition in hommage to this symbol of Montréal.
Guy
 

3 comments:

brownblvd MSN said...

Hi Guy,

With regard to your message about the demolition of Ben's, I think that it is a sad day!!! I remember dropping in there in the 1970s at 2 or 3 am, and ordering 2 Ben Burgers and enjoying every last molecule. Ben Kravitz ( a good ole' Litvak) would be rolling in his grave if he knew what was going on.

For the interest of VC members, I attach a photo of me (middle), my son (left), and Ian Clyde(right) having lunch at Ben's after I arranged a workout for my son with Ian back in 2006 (Ian and I went to school together at St. Thomas Moore - the good old days, eh Walter K.?).

Oh well, there is always the Capri on St. Patrick, eh? I hope to be dining at the Capri this weekend, when I will be visiting Montreal (hey Metalman, are you in???).

BrownBlvd.

brownblvd MSN said...

Apologies, but here is my third attempt at posting this picture (I I think it worked this time!).

BrownBlvd

Attachment: 2006_07 July Montreal with Joe 048.jpg

guy5479 MSN said...

Brownblvd, Nice picture, specially with the photos on the wall and great souvenirs of Ben's. Keep that picture in your album as you never know when it will come in handy as in this situation. Guy