Monday, September 25, 2006

Tall Towers on Montreal's Historic Rapids (Nuns’ Island)

Tall Towers on Montreal's Historic Rapids (Nuns’ Island)

 

...

It seems that Verdun projects about 2 500 units on the South Point. This means more than 6 000 new residents needing services and thousands of cars pouring into a little country road. Public safety concerns getting on and off the island cannot be met.

Projects built:
• 4 towers, 25-floors (66 m high) Sommets sur le Fleuve 619 units
• Jardins des Vosges 100 units
• 125 single-family homes, townhouses 125 units.
Projected construction:
• 2 additional 25-floor towers (75 m high) Les Sommets 280 units
• Verre sur vert, 6-floors plus penthouse 140 units
• 5 towers, 25-floors (75 m high), 4 6-floor buildings, townhouses 1 046 units
• Phase 1, 2 Domaine du Cloître, Maisons riveraines 115 units

...

http://www.ile-des-soeurs.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=39

 

http://www.ile-des-soeurs.ca/

***

INFORMATION MEETING

UPDATE ON SOUTHERN

TIP DEVELOPMENT ON NUNS’ ISLAND

September 27, 2006

7 p.m.

Centre communautaire Elgar

All residents concerned by the development of the Southern tip area

on Nuns’ Island are invited to attend an information meeting. Property

developers will be outlining their respective projects at that time.

These presentations will be preceded by a short statement to be made

by Verdun Borough Mayor Claude Trudel, on the actions undertaken by

the Borough to ensure preservation of green spaces and ecological

balance in the Southern tip area on Nuns’ Island.

Presentations

• Claude Trudel, Mayor of the Verdun Borough

• Dany Tremblay, Director, Aménagement urbain et

Services aux entreprises, Verdun Borough

• Matthew Calpakis, Groupe IGG -

Trinit챕 ecological golf course

• Sam Gewurz, Proment Corporation - Le Vistal project

• Jacques Chénier, Construction Pointe sud -

Symphonia project

A question period will follow.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/page/arr_ver_fr/media/documents/Pub_rencontre_27sept06.pdf

 

One cannot stop progress !

JM

8 comments:

mpmv MSN said...

(This is my first post here! Aren't you the privledge one!)

I lived on Nun's Island from 1977 - 1990. When I lived there, the golf course wasn't touched, it was immaculate. Along Chemin du Golf, there were businesses and the tennis club. The lake in the back, was untouched, as was all the green space back there from de Gaspe right around to Chemin du Golf. As teenagers, we'd have parties back there! The pyramid was there along with a few townhouses down Berlioz. Rene Levesque lived in the Pyramid and used to do his groceries at Provigo - casually strolling around, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I look at the picture you've posted and think "OMG", what happened or what will happen? I wonder when the island is going to sink! I took a drive there in 1996, and actually got lost because so much had changed. When we were kids, we played in the old nun's houses that were still there, which is where the Pyramid now stands. I wish you luck if your trying to stop any development (if that is what your hoping for). Any idea how many residents are actually living on the island now? When I lived there, there were 9 streets, Abelard, Berlioz, Carot, Darwin, Elgar, Francois, de Gaspe, Hall, and Chemin du Golf, plus Place du Commerce, how many are there now?

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, thanks for the picture, really something else, please keep me posted on the going's on. I actually know one of the names of the people making presentations, we hung out together at the Centre Communautaire Elgar when we were 12ish....long, long time ago!

Cheers!
Michelle

les__f MSN said...

Wow your right that would certainly be a change in the Verdun skyline looking South,...not to mention a bit of a difference for those on the South Shore looking towards Montreal/Verdun,........ Is this project going to be a reality or is it a proposal??   Mpmv nice to see you post a message,...seems you have good recollection of Nuns Island,......when you mentione d the streets that were there when you first lived there,..that is how I Remembered the streets,.......all alphabetical,I my sister lived on the 'E' street ,so I guess it was Edgar ?? as you mentioned ,.she lived there when they first opened up,...can't Remember the year (late 60's??),......and I think there was only about 6 blocks or so at that time,.....I think they all looked the same,....but I really don't Remember: Hope you post some more Verdun stuff,...and do you have any pictures from those days you lived there??   Progress....................... a far cry from what we Remember   .............Even this view was rather new (to me)   ...............ahhhhhhh   Remembering Verdun....................

mpmv MSN said...

Hello again, (I'm on a roll - two posting in one day!)

I'll have to go searching around and see what I can find. I don't think I have any, maybe one or two looking out of our apartment on Abelard looking onto the golf course, it was a nice view is what I can remember. No obstructions. Like I said earlier when I did go back in 1996 there were houses on the golf course, what a shame. That street would of been Elgar, and yes everything did look the same, it didn't take much to get lost!

It was funny, but I lived on Nun's Island and wasn't rich enough for my Nun's Island friends, and I went to VCCHS, and all of my Verdun friends thought I was a snob and was rich because I lived on Nun's Island, vicious little circle! Seems I didn't fit in anywhere! Oh well, those days are over and done with. I remember at that time my mom was paying $450 for a 2 bedroom apartment on the third floor of an apartment building, and everything was included. I can just imagine what the rent is there now!

I look at the pictures you've posted, and if someone showed me that bottom one and asked me where this was, I'd be up a creek without a paddle. I wouldn't have recognized that as Nun's Island, not in a million years! I was between the ages of 10 and 23 when I lived there, had many friends whom I've lost contact with, I would love to find them, but I guess they will show up one day, hopefully not at my funeral!!!!

Judging by the photos, unfortunately, they might as well go thru with their plans to build more, I don't see much for green space anymore. Thanks for the pictures, and I'll look for mine, like I said, I think I may have one or two, if that!

Cheers,
Michelle

jmhachey MSN said...

Hi Michelle (MpMv) & Les ! Thanks for the texts and the nice pics of Nuns Island ! News from l’Ile-des-Soeurs (Nuns Island) http://www.lemagazineids.com/ http://www.lemagazineids.com/rubrique-22-News-in-English.html JM

maggiemck MSN said...

Johnmelivin, I think this is the thread you were looking for about Nun's Island.

johnmelinvin2 MSN said...

ok  thanks

maggiemck MSN said...

Fire in apartment building on Nun's Island. http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=99e797fb-a702-4c08-8602-ae2430564675&k=49938

magmckiernon MSN said...

  L'Île à vol d'oiseau
Fonds Ville de Verdun


1966
Ile des Soeurs, Ville de Verdun, Qu챕bec, Canada

Documents : Cartes g챕ographiques
Paysage : Urbains
Type : Image