Sunday, February 26, 2006

Latest Verdun council meeting

I went to the most recent boro council meeting in Verdun, seems to be the first hosted by the new mayor from Nun's Island (forgot his name), he read from a little speech while sitting down and they gave a bravery award to some little kid who did something that I didn't fully catch. The councillors were mostly new, I think every elected official down there is French. Newly retired longtime West Verdun councillor John Gallagher was in the audience with his wife. About 75 people showed up, 13 of them asked questions, none of the particularly hostile variety. One old English guy who has been going to the meetings for years did a little speech about the poorly salted sidewalks, another young woman complained that the streets weren't clean enough, one woman complained about the usual Nun's Island green space thing and a few others spoke. It wasn't particularly exciting, but supposedly a lot of info will be posted on the internet in the future concerning such meetings so you'll be able to follow it better if you're interested.

2 comments:

maggiemck MSN said...

Thanks Mega, I'll be looking for it.

guy5479 MSN said...

I went to the Pierrefond-Roxboro town councitl meeting a few weeks ago for the first time since we are now part of that burrough. We previously where with the Dollard Désormeaux-Roxboro burrough.which did not allow those ugly Tempo garages which Pierrefonds allows. Pierrefonds wants to have a council meeting at which the population will vote as to wether to allow Roxboro to permit their installation. I strongly objected to these ugly oversized tents that are erected 6 months of the year thus devaluating our property. Verdun allows these tempos in the yards only and with certain restrictions or conditions where and they are not allowed at all on Ile des Soeurs.I spoke to the councillor who represents my district but discovered that he has a Tempo so I will not get any support from him. There are no councillors from Roxboro on the council so it looks like I will have quite a fight on my hands. Guy