Saturday, January 7, 2006

Hello Verdunners

I've been reading some of the postings on the group and see lots of names
from my past .
I went to both the protestant and the catholic schools in the 50's and 60's
.
They each told me not to bother to come back for my certificates ......

So there are names that I recognize on this site from all over
verdun........

Pilon , Redmond , Hastings , Dall , Sullivan , Allen , Archibald , Mace
,just too many
to list right now .

I was born in 1946 on 3rd avenue ...then moved downtown to Mackay street
.......from there we
moved to Moffat , then to Rolland , Bannantyne , Argyle , Bannantyne .

My spots were Downtown , The PAV , Kosta's , Ma's "Miss Verdun ", Crealey's
, Curries ,
Hickson Pool Hall , Wellington Street , Juvenile detention center , Crawford
Pard , Ville LaSalle,
Ville Emard , Lachine , Montreal North , RoseMount , Little Burgundy ,
Chateauguay .......

Schools attended , St.Thomas More , Willibroad , VCH, VPH....
On one of the postings someone asked what color jacket did someone
wear......
Well in the early sixties Summer was a white nylon wind breaker , fall was a
suede jacket ,
winter was a blue bomber jacket with those weird seams that made your arms
look like the
michelin tire man ........Desert boots , flyght boots , mocassons , smelly
sneakers ,

I wasn't a team player , I got in trouble at my second B&G football
practice.......chased the
puck on Brown Blv'd rink......pick up games only....... referee's couldn't
survive those rules .
I got hockey teeth ......so they say . I got excused from gym at VCH after I
beat the gym teacher.
So athelitics weren't that important to me after that ........

Fished in the Ackey ., on the river ......from the shore , in the hole in
the rapids ........
Did the swamp in Angrignon before they drained it ........

I've lived all over Canada , however I always made the choice to exclude
Toronto from
my list of domiciles.......currently I live in Victoria BC......down near
Clover Point .
I think that Les posted a web cam that shows the waves near my place
.......they come
smashing over the road whenwe get "WEATHER."

I think I can entertain most of you with some stories that will touch each
of you personally.

That has been my hobby for the past umpteen years...collecting anecdotes
about VERDUN .
Ah....my fingers are starting to crap out ....so , gonna have to call it a
day for now.
Soon I'll post a link to my WEB site where you can choose to download some
of the stories .
It is easier for me that way ......Oh ya I got some pictures also.
The reason that it'll be easier to post the stories is cause I am useing a
UNIX system and
it doesn't work with the MSN network , so I've got to use someone else's
computer to send you
mail and all that stuff ....so it's easier posting to a WEB site for me
.....

_________________________________________________________________
Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN짰 Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

15 comments:

redmond1949 MSN said...

Joey you said you new the Redmond.Was it me (Steve) or my brother Dan?Can't wait for your Web Site.Oh welcome to this site. Steve

grammah2 MSN said...

This message has been deleted due to termination of membership.

rainy_day_man_44 MSN said...

joey!...the swamp in Angrignon ...we must have hung out at sometime   shayne

les__f MSN said...

Hi Joey,....I had to laugh at the school experience,.......it was suggested to me as well ,that perhaps I should find another venue,to finish high school,....hahahaha that's the way it was in those days,..fights in school were not uncommon  ( with certain teachers or brothers),......all in all , it was an experience,........it seems that growing up in Verdun,..does encompass a myriad of experiences,....and some how or other amongst all different character traits everyone has,...we also share a certain 'Montrealer' type background /  Verdun (er) (ite),......for us ,...but I will be interested as well in reading more of your stories,...seems like you fit right in amongst the middle of the age groups here,....so no doubt we will be able to relate,to the growing up antics rom Verdun.............I'm sure many of the stories that alot of us experienced,.still cannot be told in prime time...........hahahahahah  Btw.  I thought that cam on Dallas Rd,...was somewhere btwn Clover Pt ..and Cook St,..but that fence near the edge ,seems to indicate otherwise,.....and your description,of waves crashing over the road,..........would be almost impossible for the area I described ,..so perhaps before the Hockey Games start today,..I will take a run down to Dallas Rd ,........if they ever start crashes over that cliff,...I would suggest sitting on the rooftop,and wait for one of those Large Yellow Helicopters,...........hahahahaha you mentioned that you have been collecting Verdun Anecdotes for 'umpteen ' years now,.......are you a writer of sorts,....?   or just have a good old Montreal Memory.........look forward ,to hearing more, ...........I guess that the cam is closer towards the Breakwater area?,,,,,,,,,because the waves would easily crash over the road right there,.as they often do at Ross Bay Cemetary........usually during the storms it isn't long before they close the road,.......it isn't the water that people shpuld worry too much about ,it would be an errant debris toss,......nothing like a chunk of an old tree to be tossed up on your hood.........and I still get a laugh out of the people having 'fun' getting their cars soaked with a nice big wave of Salt Water............hahahahahah   ....           ---  HF& RV---

joey-verdun MSN said...

After seeing Danny Biggs name I got to wondering were you the chap that
worked
for George at the Bingo Restaurant in about 1983 ?

Message for Bob and Glen , I found some old eight millimeter movie footage
of Grace
at a wedding in about 1958.......I don't see Pete in the pictures though .

Message for Marc Paquette , I got some mementoes from "Johnny " that you
might
be interested in . They are some typwriter tools that he made when he was
young.....
If you value those sorts of things I can send them to you and your sister .

Steve ....I knew Dan and you ....I got a picture of Dan that I'll post in
the future.
Last time that I seen you , you gave a copy of " TAIPAN ."

Less I got a few stories about the characters that used to hang around your
end of town.....your older brother may identify with them .

And for the old guys I got some memories ......from the fifties and
fourtees.
Not as good as the Joly Roger Pictures but enough to give you a few
chuckles.

That's it for my fingers tonight

_________________________________________________________________
Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft짰
SmartScreen Technology.
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN짰 Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

wendyjo MSN said...

Hello Joey, I too live in Victoria, but am out in the Western communities. It was like the St- Henri area of Montreal, I was told, but we have now come up in the world and have been named the fastest growing area in Victoria. We received an a+ for our growing city as far as businesses and homes going up. Have fun and Remember Verdun

redmond1949 MSN said...

The name Joey escapes me . So I'm waiting for your web site , to see what you look like and bring back the memories. Steve

les__f MSN said...

Hello Joey ,.still up at this hour,.......it;s 5:30 in real Verdun time,..........hahahaha and we were born inreal Verdun time,....I don't know if your 'fishing' for Verdun stuff or if your a good 'story teller' as you mentioned is possible,.........the motor cycle accident story seems rminicent of a story I heard about a character who I Remember meeting in front of the old Dawson Boys Club on Woodland Av ( as I'm sure you know),.......and this guy had some very serious 'Road Rash' on Half of his Face,....looked liked it hurt like hell,........I spoke to this Verdun Character at the time,......and I got the impression ,he was either still in some sort of shock,....or he wasn't all there............I';m not sure which,......and I 've never thought about that character till your mention of this MC accident,.......time frame would suggest they are not related,....although very close...........  On another note since you live here in Victoria ,....I suggest a gathering of the Victoria bunch of ex-montrealers,.........perhaps in the spring we can organize a gathering of sorts,......You never know ,it may become the Vancouver Island version of the annual ex -Verdun group in Toronto,.....years ago ( and maybe even still) there was an ex-Montrealers group gathering in Vancouver.........or let's just go and have a beer...........You tell me..........               Have Fun & Remember Verdun

shamrockbarbara1 MSN said...

Hi Joey,   What was the first name of the Hastings you knew.  Gathering from your age, would it be a Jimmy Hastings as he is your age.   Barbara Hastings

les__f MSN said...

I wonder if this accident would have been printed in the old Messanger,.or the Guardian paper,..if so one of our members here 'Guy5479' does a lot of work ,at the SGVH ( I think  that's the initals) and I beleive they have access to old newspapers from Verdun,.that are on 'microfish' ,.maybe comps. ,.I'm not sure,.....but if you ask him he may be able to help,.....He's always coming up with interesting trivia stuff from Verdun-Montreal etc etc ......So when he reads this he may be able to help,...I think we also have a direct link to the Library,...through our 'links' section,..I'll have a look ,.and post it here,idf I can find it.......  the hanging around with an older crowd,really does come into play nowadays,.because it allowed or exposed (good or bad ,...debatable) us to some 'real' history ,and taught us that we have two ears,.and one mouth,.....and we learned to use them in that order,........Listen twice as much , as we Speak......................hahahahahaha                    Have Fun & Remember Verdun

les__f MSN said...

Joey ,.try this webaddress,... http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/PM.cgi?LM=MuseumFlash&LANG=English&AP=vmc_search&scope=Search&terms=verdun        or shorten it up to the   http://www.virtualmuseum.ca    then you will have to navigate through their 'search' window ,.and find the SHGV    it's the 'new Library' on Bannantyne,....in the park on Brown Blvd,.............new library,.it's probably 35 years old,.....but the Library I Remembered most was the one in the old City Hall,...along with the License Bureau,.in the back near Willibrord Park,......and of course the Court Rooms a few floors up,...( so I hear...........hahahaha)  ,....and Remember the old Clinic was their too......before medicare.........where they got to stick a bunch of needles in us,...and never really did tell us what they were really for...........hahahaha         I do not see the SHGV direct link ,..but I was sue we had one here on the site,...and all the referances to SHGV  through Google,...turn up links that don't seem to want to open properly,..or re-direct to somewhere else......  Give it a shot if you like you may find some access to those old papers......etc etc........  Good Luck

les__f MSN said...

Joey,.your on,.I'll touch base with you here on the site ,perhaps this week,.based on your posting times re:msg's,.I can see that our schedules are flexible,....I will try & set something up this week ,.....How long have you been here in Victoria? cause btwn all the montrealer's I know ,.I am surprised I have not run into you,.....or maybe we have,..but a Montrealer re-counting funny situations,....has got to be good for a laugh,...and we've got lots of them,...and if we run out of our own stories my brother & I & some of our friends have plenty............hahahahahah  (always more appreciated ..when having a beer and laughing ................

mike_stark MSN said...

Hi Joey,   You woundn't happen to be Joey Wilshire would you?   Mike

shamrockbarbara1 MSN said...

Hi Joey   If I can have your last name when I talk to Jimmy this week, I will mention your name and tell him to go to Verdun Connections.   Yes, I know most of the names you mentioned.   Barbara

mike_stark MSN said...

Hi Barbara,   Ask Jim if he remembers Mingo, Pringle, and Durant also. I think we played floor hockey at Chalmers church. Mike