Saturday, July 30, 2005

Centrale Electrique à Ville LaSalle

Voici une photo de l'ancienne Centrale électrique à Ville Lasalle. La plupart des Verdinois sont familiés avec cet endroit qui est maintenant un chemin de terre vers l'ile Gardner.(Archives SHGV)
 
Here is a photo of the old electric power dam near Bishop Power Blvd which most verdunites are familiar with. Lousely translated, the company was formed in 1895 by 20 rich Canadians and an American who formed the Lachine Rapids Hydraulic and Land Co. to exploit the energenic resourses of the Lachine rapids.
Inauguration was held in 1897 and ceased operation in 1931.It was owned by the Montreal Light Heat and Power. Most Verdunites are familiar with this spot. It is now a dirt road leading to Gardner Island. (SHGV Archives)
 
Guy
 

7 comments:

sharon_starr MSN said...

Thanks for the pic of the dam, Guy. I can always remember my mother telling me when I was young, that I had a 2nd or 3rd cousin who was a champion swimmer. He apparently was dared by some friends to dive off of the dam and he did...and subsequently drowned.

brownblvd MSN said...

Salut, Guy.   What I find as interesting as the subject of the hydro dam in that old photo, is what Village des Rapides looked like back then - looks like lots of open fields and still very few houses.  I wish the resolution on that photo was better, so that greater detail could be seen.   By the way, did you ever hit the Capri to dine there with your wife yet?   Best Regards, BrownBlvd

legman22 MSN said...

Hi Guy. I remember as a kid, when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old, our family used to go to the beach a few yards upstream of the dam. People brought their lunches and blankets/chairs and spent the day there. I imagine the water was still polluted, even back then, but everyone used to swim there anyways. Sometimes we used to swim over to the island directly across. You could actually feel yourself being tugged towards the dam but if you did it right, you went in higher up and let the current help you make headway. Thanks goodness for those inflatable tubes! Great memories.

guy5479 MSN said...

Ray, Unfortunately, the original photo is not very good but I will enlarge it and try to improve it. No, I did not get around going to the Capri bu it is on my to do list. Thanks for remembering. Guy

dannyb--1 MSN said...

Hi Legman22,  Was the beach not downstream. A street or two closer to Verdun. Or was there one on each side of the dam.  ???   Danny

guy5479 MSN said...

Ray, I have enlarged the photo. Guy

guy5479 MSN said...

Ray, Sorry, it did'nt work. I will try again. Guy