Saturday, May 21, 2005

Verdun Small Fry Football PIcture

I think Flood might like get a kick out of this pic.
 
I came across this 1962 picture taken at the Verdun stadium of the Cardinals small fry football team.
This was the first year that this younger age level of 10-11 year olds began. The other team in the league at that time was the Vikings. 
 
Anyone out there recoginze anyone from this pic I would love to know who they are as I can't remember any of old team mates. Im on the right end of the bench no 8. The same position I played on the field. Ofensive end.
 
Anyone remember any of the Vikings players I would like to know who they are.
I believe one of the one was Keith Gill as I recall he played opposite me on the Vikings.
I know several of these players went on to play for Black and Gold Bengals under Bob Geary in 69 / 70 who took the Canadian Championship.
 
Johnny O.

4 comments:

dflood64 MSN said...

Yup  Johnny O  Small Fry FB picture is great.   Got a big kick out of it. The league was set up for 8-10 year olds and a steping stone to the 10-13 year old Pee Wee league. You can see my Dad's car ('56 Pontiac 4 dr six in the background between the bleachers. Above it are the wires connecting to the speakers and amp he used to "announce" the games. AND in back right is the table my Mother used to display prizes that were donated/coerced by and from local merchants to raffle off for money to support "the kids". Unfortunately someone is in between the camera and my Mom at the table.   I coached the Vikings for four years always the rival of the Cards S'Cats and ???? (can't remember). I had players Michael MacKasey, Blair MacKasey (see olympic and junior hockey teams), Brian and Jimmy Cootes, and many others whose names escape me at the moment. Probably one of the most rewarding things I have done in my life...........   I have pictures but they are stored in CAnada and I am here in SUNNY California.... .....Thanks for the memories John..   ...................   Dave

jmhachey MSN said...

Hi JohnnyO ! Excellent photo showing the Cardinals football team, the first Verdun stadium behind Verdun Model school. Thanks ! JM

johnnyo MSN said...

Hi Dave, Thanks for the info about your dad's car and mom's table. I would like to know who the guy with glasses is. I don't think he's the coach as I vaguely recall the coach being different looking and younger.   JM I barely remember these old stands at the stadium but remember the concrete ones better that replaced these ones.   The concrete ones had change rooms under the stands if I recall whereas these old wooden ones didn't.   J.O

dflood64 MSN said...

Enough of these building tri via contests.  here is some real live nostalgia   1957 VSFFA Tigers with own cheerleaders. Coaches in back are Ray Langstaff and Art Maughan, Yours truly is somewhere in there> I let you all figure out who.   The rest of them you will have to guess.