Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Candy Store

Does anyone remember the candy store on second avenue...Fraser's...near Wellington?I remember going there...five cents used to buy you a big bag of candy and if you had ten cents...wow!Mr Fraser used to get so mad at us because we would take FOREVER to pick our candies...poor guy!And when you bought soft drinks you had to pull them out of   a big container filled with icy water...ah...memories.
By the way...love reading all your old memories of Verdun.Going to try and dig out my old pics to share with all of you.
Carrollinda

3 comments:

fresco MSN said...

Remember The Neilson or Cadbury 5 cent chocolate bar? If I had 10 cents I would sometimes go for the Lowney's chocolate with the cherry inside it. It was sold in a small box. Comic books were ten cents and the selection was huge. Recently I saw an Archie comic book display and comics are now $2.19. I loved the comics and weekend magazine section of the Montreal Star. Maggie & Jiggs, Gasoline Alley...great stuff.

secondave MSN said...

I remember that store. It was downstairs from Mrs. Lawton, her daughter
Margaret, and husband Lammy.
Bill

"You can gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in
which you really stop to look fear in the face... You must do the thing
which you think you cannot do."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

glen_ogilvie1 MSN said...

I too remember that store. There was an apartement above the store and way back around 1963 there must have been a domestic dispute in the apartement and everything had been thrown out the window onto the sidewalk. Many kids rooted through the pile, myself included. I took (stole?) one thing out of that pile. A black glass panther, which I had then given to my mother. She kept that glass tiger and gave it back to me just a few years ago. When I moved to BC in 1972 I came across a lamp that is of the same syle black glass tiger. I bought it at a garage sale for 25 cents. I still have it too and am thrilled to have the 2 pieces united.   Glen