Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Re: Your Favorite Verdun Hangout

I think I also took part in most of your activities but I was fortunate to have lived on Brown Blvd. accross from the park. In summer we would play in the ball park,usually '3 pops or 5 grounders'.  Remember that game?  In winter we would play hockey for hours on the rink, hoping some older 'big' guy wouldn't take your head off with a slap shot. I can still hear that sound......a frozen puck resounding off the boards in the cold night air.  I lost my two front teeth in that hockey rink.......long before helmets and face masks!
Street hockey was a daily affair.  Moving the nets every time a car came down the street;using a frozen horse dropping for a puck.........at least it didn't hurt as much as a puck bouncing off your head!
In the summer we would walk out to the LaSalle Golf Club and caddy.  I can remember caddying for Doug Harvey and Dollard St. Laurent. I never realized then,what an honour that was.    Jim Long

No comments: